Sunday, 16 April 2017

More for the SALUTE 2017 demo board

As time is ticking by I thought it would be a good idea to have a quick update on the Salute tenshu. It's progressing well and I don't envisage working the whole night before this time but we'll see lol

Here's a few photos to keep you going for now. I don't have much time to do a proper write up but I promise I will do when Salute is over 👍












ttfn

Thursday, 6 April 2017

OSHIRO new releases

I've got quite a few new releases that are now ready and the first lot are below. There are also going to be some new sections in the catalogue and when they are ready to go I'll post them here.

Firstly are the new 28mm samurai releases.

We've got 5 new items in the Additions range and pictures of these are below. Prices and descriptions are on the website.






Next we've got a new fune (ship) ready. Smaller than the last one and more manageable on the table top.



Then we've got some new religious bits in the form of two torii. A simple rural one (shinmei) and a more elaborate version (hachiman). I'm also working on some other religious items but more on them later.


I've also got an emerging Edo period range on the go. Only two buildings for now but this will hopefully change in the coming months along with some more buildings and smaller additions from the period. There's a shop and a two story house.



Finally there is a Chinese headman's house for the Chinese rural range.



This are all ready to go and are available at Salute 2017 There are also a few other items that I'll post on over the weekend.

ttfn

Saturday, 1 April 2017

SALUTE 2017. The board - Part 2

Work continues on the tenshu for this years Salute game. Not much time for words so I'll just leave a series of wip pics :-)

The odd shaped frosted bits are jigs to help get elements straight when gluing and are indispensable when doing this sort of work.

Less then three weeks to go 😅



















ttfn

Sunday, 19 March 2017

Aspern-Essling commission. Building base 1

Hello, hello :-)

I have finished the Aspern-Essling first building base commission (got another couple to do) and I must say, it was a joy to do and I'm rather pleased with the result. You'll have to forgive me as this post will be a bit picture heavy.

It's a 28mm commission of a series of building bases for the Napoleonic campaign surrounding the Austrian/French battle of Aspern-Essling.

I was given a couple of very useful photos by the client as a starting point and I also did a fair amount of research myself. I already had plenty of German/Austrian reference photos for the earlier 10mm builds I'd done but a few more doesn't hurt :-)

The basic layout for the first two were sketched out and approved, then it was onto the building with the base size being 445mm x 305mm.




I decided to make them by hand this time. Using the laser is all well and good but sometimes the appeal of hand making something, well, appeals :-) The only lasered elements were the window frames, main building quoins/coping and the roof tiles. There is also a limited amount of textured styrene sheet in certain places (which should be apparent from the photos).

The smaller building was boxed out first and I decided to mask and spray the buildings for this as it would give a subtler finish than hand painting. The masking takes a while but on the whole I prefer this method as it's cleaner and neater. As you can see, the whole building was sprayed the panel colour, then the panels were masked out and the wood colour was sprayed afterwards. Once everything was de-masked the whole lot was given some subtle drybrushing and weathering.








The timber work was time consuming but unfortunately, buildings of this ilk tend to have plenty of beam work and so there was no chance to scrimp on it. The main building was a bit easier as it was just stone and plaster work, with exception of course to the tower on the side. The colours for the whole building were kept to the same palette so nothing jumped out or jarred.

All the buildings were done and complete before they were stuck onto the base and when this happened the ground work was applied and then the growies (quite possibly my favorite part of most commissions). The growies weren't over the top, just a good balance between practability and looks. A few other items were added to make it looked lived in, including the washing line and I think they help to finish the whole lot off.

I'll leave you with a bit of a photo dump of the final, edited pictures.
















ttfn