02/05/2018

Limehouse - The Terrain, Part One

I've been bitten by the vampire bug... Gothic Horror has never been my bag but I’ve been persuaded to get involved with a GH London based project. Of course, this being me it will be terrain heavy but I have painted some figures as well (more on those later).

I’ve gone for 300mm square tiles and loose buildings to try and maximise the layout potential and modularity. There will also be a sewer system and docks/wharves but more on those later when I get round to them.

The tiles won’t line up perfectly with each other but there will be access between most of the joints of the tiles; this should make sense later. Typically I’ve gone down the more difficult route and have decided to stamp the cobbles/setts using some simple brass tools that I quickly made for the purpose. The road and pavement surface is the soft ‘play foam’ sheets that can be found in art shops for a couple of quid. The colours don’t matter obviously as they get painted over and I must say, they do take paint rather well.

The initial photos below show the first stages of the imprinting of the setts. It’s quite a tedious process but the end result is worth it. It was sprayed a basic grey and then ‘speckled’ with other colours to help give the impression of granite or some other road worthy stone. The whole lots was inked, dry brushed and then weathered with pastels. The man hole cover was lasered and painted by hand.

There will be more on the buildings shortly.













ttfn

7 comments:

  1. Masterclass in terrain making and I like the idea of the soft play foam sheets for cobbles. Do you have a brand name to help me find what I will be looking for?
    They say garlic is good for that vampire bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 😊

      No brand name as they were loose at the local art shop. 2mm thick and rediculous colours.

      cheers

      James

      Delete
    2. Thanks James, I will keep a look out for it.

      Delete
  2. Quite nice, you are correct that the cobbles come out best when hand made... although doing a whole board that way seems like madness!

    Does the play foam hold up well over time? Or will it get marked up/lose the markings you have made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s holding up at the moment and they were done about six weeks ago. Hopefully there won’t be that much difference over time.

      Delete
  3. Very impressive so far. Looking forward to seeing how this develops ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate (next post up has more buildings ;-)

      cheers

      James

      Delete